Monday, November 27, 2017

Random Goodness: Rare Find!

One of the more interesting things about running this blog is the hit or miss nature of collecting material.  And believe me, I've been burned a number of times.  The reason?  Well, although Kathy was a very popular model during her day, her appearances were spotty at times.  She was a mainstay in Sears and Penneys, but others, well, eh, not so much.  In one Speigel she would would have a ton of pics, and the next one nada.

So when two 1971 Eatons catalogs came on the market, I was on the fence. (1) But the price was right so I rolled the dice and took a chance.  And the result was........zero.  Not even pics of Karen, Colleen, or Kay.  "Rats" I said to myself and put those in a stack to be scanned later. (2)

Well, not so fast my friends!!  When I went back to scan them, I found to my astonishment, pics of Kathy and Karen in, of all places, the young teen section!!  (3)  What a pleasant surprise!!

The early 70s were The Age of Ruffles! Yeah, even in 1971 Kathy could pull off the "Young Teen" look (4) 

Bonded Acrylics!  All I can say is "That's Sooo 70s!"

More young teen fashions but this time without Kathy.

Did I mention that Karen made this layout as well?  And what an entrance in red gauchos with matching red boots.  Whoever said that the early 70s were all drab earth ones?!?

And a closeup of Kathy

A final pic.  There's more, but I' saving those for other posts!!

footnotes:

(1)  I was really on the fence about this one.  There were some appearances by Kathy in a few, but not in most.  However, the date was good and the price was right.

(2) When I get a new catalog, I do a quick scan.  If there are a lot of good pics, I scan it right away.  If not, then I wait until later.  However, once a scan it, I take more time and am more thorough. That's when I found these!

(3) The Young Teen section is not something that I normally pay much attention to.  That's how I missed these pics the first time.

(4)  Kathy mentioned in an article for a local Oregon newspaper in 1969 that she wan't sure how long she could do the "young thing" as a model.  Well, apparently it was quite a long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment