But like all good things, time and technology passed them by. (1) (2) They published their last catalog in 1985 and went out of business in December 2000. (3) However, that's not going to stop us from taking a look back at their groovy fashions!!
We can't end on that note, no,no, no!
(1) MW had a wild, turbulent history which I decided not to detail. During the 70s, the company was already fighting for its life. In 1976, it was purchased by Mobil (yes, the oil company) which was a financial disaster for both sides.
(2) As an interesting side note, MW coined the phrase "Satisfaction Guaranteed or your Money back." They introduced that phrase in 1875.
(3) Actually Wards still exists, but only as an online retailer (Wards.Com) which is not connected to the original company except in name only. In 2004, the Wards trademark and other intellectual property rights were bought by a company called DMSI which was later acquired by Swiss Colony.
(4) Pic is courtesy of Blue Senshi - Thanks!
(5) Pic is courtesy of JJ's Playhouse - Thanks!
(6) Re-blogged from NoPatternRequired.Com (as if you couldn't tell with their name plastered across the front.)