Sunday, May 12, 2013

Random Weirdness Part 3: Crazy Stuff You Could Buy from a Catalog

Okay, this week we're going to do something completely different.  As you know by now, we focus on Kathy and the other K Club models and their friends.  However, now we're going to take a look at some of the other crazy things one could buy from a Big Book catalog back in the 70s besides the groovy fashions.  After all, as we'll see in this age before the internet and Walmarts, the Big Book catalogs covered EVERY aspect of consumer wants and needs.

For example...

Just imagine your neighbors turning green with envy when that big Penneys truck pulls up to your house and delivers that (wait for it, wait for it!) BRAND NEW SAILBOAT!!  (Some assembly required).  Yes, you'll be the talk of your little corner of suburbia as you head out to the lake in this babe magnet (babe not included).

Okay that is good for outdoor fun, what about the indoors, you ask?

How about "modular convertible furniture"?  I originally chose this pic because Kathy is in it (this is the Kathy Loghry blog, so I had to include at least one pic of her).  However, upon closer inspection I began to realize just how randomly weird this is to have in a catalog.  Let me explain.

You see these pieces are for "immediate seating.." (hint, hint) and come in "easy care vinyl" (beginning to get the drift).  "Convert them to loveseats, sofas, chairs, loungers - tables too" and they are the "now" furniture for "young moderns" (wink, wink, nod, nod). Once again, models are NOT included (1).  Pretty crazy if you ask me.  Like I said at the start, the Big Book catalogs covered ALL your outdoor and indoor entertainment needs.....

Speaking of randomly weird furniture...

Nothing says 70s style and class quite like inflatable furniture that looks like suede (again, model not included).  I admit that as a young lad, I always thought about outfitting my future shagadelic, groovy-baby bachelor pad in funkadelic furniture like this.  I know, I know, I dreamt big as a young lad!

Once our "young modern" couple has progressed from the carefree days of sailboats and inflatable furniture, it is time to get down to some domestic chores...

Oh how politically incorrect! A sewing machine complete with table and accessories!

But don't worry, the guy doesn't get off that easy...

A mixer! Try buying that at Walmart!  I bet he's saying "What happened to my sailboat?  Oh yea, we sold it at a garage sale".

And finally, as long as we are on domestic chores....

Yep, it starts out as a relaxing day on the JCP sailboat, but several years later it comes down to this - painting your new JCP shutters for the domicile (Yes, that is Kathy. That is about as casual of dress as you'll see her in these catalogs).  Oh well, that is the arc of life.  No need to worry, no matter what stage of life you were in - the Big Book Catalogs had you covered!


footnotes:  (yep, still got those going on)

(1) For those of you new to this site, Kathy is the model in the bottom part of picture.  Anyone know the blonde on top?  Whoops, I meant to say the blonde in the top part of the picture (Sorry about that slip up.  I guess the "modular furniture" concept has got me distracted).

4 comments:

  1. I don't know who the other blonde is, but it always amazes me that they would use a top model (they're expensive, you know) for shots like these. Then again, maybe all the models cost the same, but you usually don't see the fashion models in this part of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I agree. I don't know the basis for how they paid the models - perhaps it was an hourly rate and they had some time to fill or something. It is weird. For example, I have a pic of Colleen Corby looking in a mirror in the bathroom section of one catalog. Of course, it seemed like models of that era were more willing to do pics like that.

      Delete
    2. Yes, they were paid an hourly rate. Maybe you're right that they had some time to fill. LOL I know the Colleen pic you're referring to. I'm pretty sure that's the only time I've ever seen her in the back pages of the catalogs.

      Delete
    3. Yep, I can see them say "Oh Kathy could you come over there for a moment, hold this paint brush". "What, huh, what" " Yea perfect, got it, thanks!" Still I think models today would be a little "put out" if asked to do the same....

      Delete