Thursday, July 18, 2013

Body Suits / Body Shirts / Whatever - Part 3

Wow! You've heard the old saying about fashion - don't throw it out, it will be back in style again some day. Well, for all you fans of the 70s "body suit" (and I know that at lot of you ladies out there just adored them!), I've got great news.  They're Back!!! (more on that at the end of this post).  But first, let's review some classic body suits from the 70s!

Kay, Karen, and Kathy all in some really nice body suits / body shirts / whatever they are called.  Why is everyone so introspective and reflective looking?  Is body suit fashions really such a serious business? Where did all the big smiles go (I guess they saved the smile for the smile insert pic?)?  Still it is a great pic, perhaps the photographer was going for a more wistful look from the models.  You know, trying to be all artsy and all.


Still such a serious look from everyone!  I mean even the dog has his game face on.  What's up with that? What I really love is the fixed poses by all the models going off in different directions - classic catalog modeling shot (somehow only the dog ends up looking at the camera)!

And I just noticed the background (I guess I was distracted by the dog).  It looks like a prop from a science fiction set or something.  It really looks like they were trying hard to pull off the great artistic shot - perhaps a little too hard.

That's better!  At least Kathy has her smile going here.  And no wonder, who wouldn't be happy visiting the "Sears Body Suit Shop" (there's a bad joke in there somewhere, and I can't quite put my finger on it, probably for the best).


Okay, back to the serious look.  I mean how can you be all serious in a pink body shirt with gigantic ruffles, or the body shirt with the giant pointy collars?!?

Now everyone seems a little happier (and they are all looking at the camera)!  Kay has another ruffled body shirt on in the left pic, and let's face it - she looks super sweet in both pics (as do Dottie and Kathy)!  All these gals from that era certainly had the ability to pull off that very natural, friendly look, and they did it effortlessly. You don't see that so much these days from models.

Now at last we can see how these things we're supposed to be used!  The smaller pics of Kathy show off the versatility of the body suit.  You can wear them with a long skirt, short skirt, or even pants!  I still admit that I don't get it. Why the body suit?  Why not just wear a blouse with a skirt?  Of course I'm a little dense when it comes to things like that!

A virtual plethora of options to choose! Pink or blue body suits that go with pink and blue skirts, pull over dresses, and pants.  My, my, where does one begin to choose? Kathy looks uber cute in this pic, and everyone is smiling and looking at the camera (I know that I worry about these things too much).  Well everyone is smiling except for Colleen, but, hey, that's pretty normal.

Oh yeah, about body suits making a comeback.  Well, supposedly they are.  Check this out...

http://magazine.foxnews.com/style-beauty/style-obsession-bringing-bodysuit-back

I'm sure all you fans of the body suit are thrilled!

7 comments:

  1. All these girls look in pain modeling the body suits. The bottom picture with the pink and blue clothing is precious. Karen Welsh is next to Kathy Loghry. This is a sweet picture and I wish society was as sweet today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I guess the "pain" look is what they were going for?!? Not sure how that helps move the merchandise?

      Delete
  2. I am thinking that whoever is trying to make bodysuits make a comeback has never worn one. Trust me, they are no fun when you are in a hurry to go to the potty! Actually I am more concerned about the "flamingo" stance that Karen and Kathy have going on in that next to last photo.. weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice catch on the "flamingo" stances! I guess they were trying to show off how versatile body suits can be!

      Delete
  3. In the top photo that's another "K" on the far right - Cay Sanderson. In the second photo that's Kay Campbell (of course) on the far right and Colleen on the far left, with Wendy Hill on the bottom. I don't know who the other two are. I'm surprised you even noticed the dog. LOL In the fourth picture that's Joyce Ingalls standing on the right. She dated Tom Jones (while he was still married), and later became an actress. I've seen the "flamingo" pose before in these catalogs, but without resting the foot on the other leg. (That's not an easy post to do. LOL) I don't know why women would wear bodysuits either, but I know I like looking at them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes I thought that might be Cay Sanderson in the first pic but wasn't sure. I didn't know that about Joyce - interesting fact! I plan on doing special posts on some of these other models, including those two, in the future. As far as the dog goes, well, I notice these things, don't know why.

      Delete
  4. Karen welch...where are you?

    ReplyDelete