Monday, February 6, 2017

Random Weirdness: Greenland Style!

I've had a number of readers over the years ask me "How do you find such obscure catalogs?"  Well, at the risk of bragging a little bit, I enjoy the challenge!  I get a hint which leads to a clue which leads to a focused search, which leads to, well, more groovy pics for the blog!  So I thought that it's be fun to go through how this played out recently.

As with many of these searches, it started with a reader.(1) I exchanged several emails with him, and he offered to send me a head sheet of Kathy (sorry, saving that for another post!)  Well that head sheet had some info about Kathy's then recent modeling appearances.  So I tracked down several of these until one magazine produced.....

Bingo!  A completely new pic of Kathy that I had never seen before!

But that's not all!
Nothing says 70s grooviness like Acetate Seersucker!

But that raises the question "What the heck is this Greenland Studios thing and are there any more of them out there?"  The answer to that is "You Betcha!"

Hold onto your retro hats dear readers!  Apparently Greenland Studios was one of those outfits that pushed all kinds of kitschy, fun crap like here. The mind reels at the shear 70s overload present in one page!

From ship decanters to wooden utensil sets to tiny bonsai trees to dried flowers in a lucite egg, Greenland Studios had everything a modern American family in the 70s needed!   And I just know that if I had seen the "20 prehistoric cavemen and monsters" set, I would've bugged my mom until she bought it!

You ain't livin' until you have the compete collection shown here!

I'm about to have a 70s heart attack here: a gondola lamplight, snow tomatoes, your own cheese making kit, slippers for "milady", and hand blown glass swan vases, just to name a few.  However, the standout here is the "ancient Chinese fortune telling painting on an ashtray."  Huh???

Okay, okay, we better same some of this nonsense for the future.  What about fashions??
Greenland had those too and for the cost conscious buyers!

For that At Home Glamour, every women in the 70s needed a Paisley Torso Wrap from Greenland!

 And we'll end this wild ride though the Greenland Studios insanity where we began - with some pics of Kathy. Lovely!!


 
So the girl is free?!?  Wow, what a catalog,!!  That certainly beats the prehistoric cavemen and monsters set!  

footnotes:

(1)  I get a lot of my leads from my readers.  I's like to thank all of you for these contacts and info!

3 comments:

  1. I never heard of Greenland Studios, but maybe my family did get that catalog because I have the Bald Eagle Decanter in pic #3! Mine is blue, not green, and the head's gone missing, but it is definitely the same bottle. (I figured if I threw away the body now, that's when the head would show up, so I hung onto it. I had seen the detached head in my cellar but lost track of it when the body was found.) I didn't know it was supposed to be an eagle. It always reminded me of the Maltese Falcon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that is pretty cool! I'd hang onto that body. You never know you'll find the head. It may be worth something!

      Delete
  2. Well this is a first time for me watching anything from Greenland and i found it to be very cheerful.

    Target store items discount coupons
    Save a lot of your money

    ReplyDelete